This graphic novel, by one of the elder statesmen of comics, pushed the medium into new formats, genres and methods of distribution. We discuss how Eisner used a very personal tragedy to create it, as well as its unique representation of Jewish American identity.
Interested in the media we discussed this episode? Please support the show by purchasing it through our affiliate store:
- A Contract With God
- The Spirit
- Comics and Sequential Art
- Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative
- Hubert Selby, Jr.
- Eisner’s A Contract with God Is the First Graphic Novel. By: Plummer, Marguerite R., Salem Press Encyclopedia, 2013
- The ‘God’ father
- THE ANATOMY OF EXPRESSION: WILL EISNER AND ‘A CONTRACT WITH GOD’
- Scott McCloud’s Introduction to Will Eisner’s A Contract With God???the Centennial Edition
- Royal, D. P. (2011). Sequential Sketches of Ethnic Identity: Will Eisner’s “A Contract with God” as Graphic Cycle. College Literature, 38(3), 150-167.