This movie had a tumultuous production, with constant fighting between writer Paddy Chayefsky and director Ken Russell. We discuss how their conflict influenced the end product… and the studios paying their bills. We also wonder if this movie unintentionally captures what we now refer to as toxic masculinity.
Interested in the media we discussed this episode? Please support the show by purchasing it through our affiliate store:
- Altered States (film)
- Altered States (book)
- Felperin, L. (2011). Russell pics marked by raw passion. Variety, 425(4), 7.
- Corliss, R. (1980). Invasion Of The Mind Snatcher. Time, 116(26), 58.
- Lanza, J. (2007). Phallic Frenzy : Ken Russell and His Films (Vol. 1st ed). Chicago, Ill: Independent Publishers Group.
- AT THE MOVIES; Ken Russell on ‘Altered States’ controversy.
- From Altered States to Altered Titles: A Close Analysis of the Title Sequence to Ken Russell’s Altered States (1981)
- What We Mean When We Say, “Toxic Masculinity”