We look into the story behind-the-scenes of this surprisingly profound comic: from Ferris’ struggle with West Nile virus, to the book’s seizure en route through the Panama Canal. In addition, we discuss Ferris’ theme of “personal monster dilemmas” and how the process of creating this was like melting valuable dross from gold.
Interested in the media we discussed this episode? Please support the show by purchasing it through our affiliate store:
- My Favorite Thing Is Monsters
- How To Be Happy
- You And A Bike And A Road
- Why Art?
- Escape From Special
- Gravity’s Rainbow
- Fantagraphics Has Surprise Hit in Debut ‘My Favorite Thing is Monsters’
- Bankrupt Shipping Company Causing Woes for Publishers
- Emil Ferris: ‘I didn’t want to be a woman ? being a monster was the best solution’
- The Emil Ferris Interview: Monsters, Art and Stories (Part 2)
- The Bite That Changed My Life
- My Favorite Thing is Monsters Author Talks 2017’s Buzziest Graphic Novel
- The Holocaust, Art, Chicago & Sickness: A 3,500-Word Interview with My Favorite Thing Is Monsters Mastermind Emil Ferris
- How Emil Ferris became the breakout graphic novelist of the year