This 2019 series of Gizmodo articles and videos by Kashmir Hill look into how difficult it actually is to stop using The Stacks: Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple, and Microsoft. We place Hill’s research within our larger understanding of Big Tech and media literacy while listening to arguments for tech regulation or simply scaling back.
- I Cut the Big Five Tech Giants From My Life. It Was Hell.
- I Tried to Block Amazon From My Life. It Was Impossible.
- I Cut Facebook Out of My Life. Surprisingly, I Missed It
- I Cut Google Out of My Life. It Screwed Up Everything.
- I Cut Microsoft Out of My Life –– Or So I Thought
- I Cut Apple Out of My Life. It Was Devastating.
- Unplugging From Big Tech is Harder Than You Think
- It’s almost impossible to function without the big five tech giants
- How to block Big Tech with Kashmir Hill: podcast and transcript